The Warsaw University of Life Sciences (SGGW) is the largest and oldest university of life sciences in Poland. Its origins date back to 1816, when the Institute of Agronomy in Marymont was founded. It educated future stewards, estate managers, sons of landowners (at a higher level) as well as skilled workers (at an elementary level). The Institute was established as one of the ”Staszic schools” and its creation owed a lot to efforts of Polish landed gentry. It was the fourth institution of this kind in Europe. The long list of prominent figures associated with the Institute, and later with the University of Life Sciences, includes i.a. Jerzy Beniamin Flatt (the first head of the Institute of Agronomy), Józef Mikułowski-Pomorski (the first rector of SGGW), Count Edward Raczyński (who donated to the Ministry of Religion and Public Education the Ursynów plot where the SGGW campus is currently located), Władysław Grabski (Prime Minister of the Second Polish Republic, the creator of the Polish currency) and Franciszek Staff (Professor of SGGW, a pioneer of fishery in Poland). In the 19th and 20th century, new institutions and forms of agricultural education were developed. These were subsequently combined to create the Warsaw
University of Life Sciences. A small establishment where 122 people had studied in the years 1816-1830 was transformed into a university with a student body of 460 in 1918, and of 1 400 in 1939. Currently 25 000 students and doctoral students are being educated there in 13 departments.
Today, SGGW is a well-equipped, dynamically developing scientific and research center, highly esteemed both at home and abroad. The university cooperates with numerous domestic and foreign universities and institutions, participating in prestigious research projects of international economic and scientific significance. Solutions developed by the SGGW researchers are changing the face of industry and agriculture, and research is conducted with a particular focus on future practical applications in the economy. The university cooperates with many companies in the field of food economy, environmental engineering, veterinary medicine and economics.
Prof. dr hab. Andrzej Radecki